Observe upfront: Bake the cake 1 day upfront and, when it’s properly cooled, wrap it tightly in plastic movie. Reheat, coated with foil, in a 300°F oven for about quarter-hour.
For extra apple cake inspiration, take a look at our Dappled Apple Cake, Spiced Caramel Upside-Down Apple Cake, and Apple Fast Bread with Pecan Streusel.
- Yields: 8 servings
- Problem: Medium
- Complete: 1h10 + 20 min cooling
- Asset: 30 minutes
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup firmly packed gentle brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon floor cinnamon
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick), at room temperature
- 2 cups peeled, cored and thinly sliced Granny Smith apples (about 2 medium)
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 massive egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon high quality sea salt
- 1/2 cup complete milk
- 1 cup heavy whipped cream
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- Organize a rack within the middle and preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease an 8 inch spherical cake pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk collectively 1/4 cup granulated sugar, brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Soften 2 tablespoons of butter in a big skillet. Add apples and lemon juice and toss to coat properly. Add half of the sugar combination and prepare dinner till the sugar melts and the apples start to melt, about 4 minutes. Switch the apples to the ready cake pan. Organize slices decoratively and sprinkle with remaining sugar combination; put apart.
- Cream the remaining 6 tablespoons butter and remaining 1/2 cup granulated sugar within the bowl of an electrical stand mixer till gentle and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla extract; beat till properly blended, scraping down sides of bowl as wanted.
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. With the mixer on low pace, add the flour combination to the butter combination in three batches, beginning and ending with the flour and alternating with the milk. Combine till properly mixed.
- Pour batter over apples in cake pan, spreading to easy. Bake the cake till a toothpick inserted within the middle comes out clear, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool on wire rack for 20 minutes. Run a knife across the fringe of the cake and invert it onto a rimmed dish.
- Whereas the cake cools barely, whip collectively the heavy cream, powdered sugar and bourbon till comfortable peaks type. Pour over scorching items of cake.