I’ve a brand new discovered love and respect for cashew cream sauce.
My household of 4 has been vegan for 11 years. After I first went vegan, I averted these wealthy sauces as a result of I assumed all fat have been unhealthy.
I’ve discovered my vegan journey to be a studying expertise.
For instance, I realized from Medical Information As we speak that cashews are wholesome in affordable quantities. The truth is, there are lots of causes to eat cashews.
Sure, they make scrumptious creamy sauces, however they’re good for you.
- they include heart-healthy fat and vegetable protein.
- They supply antioxidants that assist scale back irritation and shield us from illnesses.
- They’ve been proven to be helpful for coronary heart well being and assist decrease blood strain, triglycerides, and ldl cholesterol.
- enhance the well being of the arteries, making them extra versatile and fewer susceptible to blood clots.
As a result of cashews are additionally low in sugar and excessive in fiber, they might help you preserve a wholesome weight. They do that by making an individual really feel full.
Primary Cashew Cream Sauce
Here’s a fundamental cashew cream sauce that can be utilized for a lot of various things.
- 1 cup of cashew
- ½ cup of water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Mix till clean in a high-speed blender resembling a Vitamix. (If you do not have a excessive velocity blender, first soak the cashews in water for two hours.) Mix first on low warmth after which on excessive warmth for 2-3 minutes till clean and creamy.
You possibly can freeze in ice dice trays or different available portion containers when wanted. You may as well retailer in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 1 week.
Listed here are a couple of methods you should use cashew cream sauce:
- Dip: Combine your cream sauce with as much as ½ cup of water, add recent herbs like dill, parsley, a pinch of lemon zest or lemon juice, or different seasonings.
- Salad dressing: Combine a tablespoon or two of the cashew cream with a splash of vinegar and some herbs.
- Sauce: Combine with pasta for a scrumptious vegan Alfredo
- Soups: Add cream sauce to pureed soups. It offers soups a wealthy salty high quality.
- Shake: Scoop a couple of tablespoons of cream right into a shake for a creamy texture, added protein, and wholesome fat.
- Substitute for canned coconut milk: ½ cup cashew cream combined with 1 cup water. (That is good for cream sauce recipes like curries if you wish to keep away from the saturated fats within the coconut milk.) I exploit this so much.
Tacky Sticky Cauliflower Casserole (serves 10)
This can be a household favourite. He’s tremendous fast to place collectively and pop into the oven. You need to use it as a aspect dish or add meat options to a primary dish. Ensure you use the tapioca flour as a result of that is what offers it that sticky consistency.
- 1 giant head cauliflower, chopped into small items and positioned in a greased 3-quart saucepan
- 1 cup of cashews
- 1 cup vegetable broth (1 cup water/½ tsp “higher than inventory focus”)
- 2 cups of soy milk
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. dijon mustard
- ¼ cup tapioca flour (no substitutes)
- ¼ cup dietary yeast
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 ¼ teaspoon salt
- Mix in a excessive velocity blender till clean. I often begin with the cashews and broth, combine till clean, then add the remaining and blend.
2. Pour right into a saucepan and warmth, stirring steadily, till the sauce thickens, about 5 minutes.
3. Pour over the cauliflower within the saucepan and toss to coat.
4. Add non-obligatory protection in order for you. Cowl with foil and bake at 350 levels for 45 minutes, verify for doneness. Uncover and bake about 10 minutes to brown. Let sit 10 minutes to set.
Optionally available protection:
- 1 cup of crushed corn flakes
- 1-2 tablespoons melted vegan margarine
5. Combine melted margarine with corn flakes and sprinkle on high. Cowl with aluminum foil as above.
I often add meat options to make this an all-in-one meal. I’ve efficiently added Apple Smoked Area Roast and Sage/Chopped Sausages, Past Beef Brown, or Marinated Soy Curls. I am certain marinated tempeh could be tasty too.
Do no matter you need! After I’m feeling reckless, I sprinkle on a handful of vegan cheddar and even fried onions.
Carolyn Howe and her household of 4 have been vegan since 2011. She is a VCEI board member and has taught cooking courses at earlier VCEI occasions. Ship her questions or feedback to [email protected] Go to the VCEI web site at https://www.veganeasterniowa.org/ or be part of the group on Fb and Meetup.